Friday, December 12, 2008

Mad Tiger Movie Review


I went and watched the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still today starring Keanu Reeves as the Spaceman Klaatu, Jennifer Connelly as Dr. Helen Benson, Jaden Smith (Will Smith and Jada Pickett Smith’s son) as Jacob Benson (Dr. Benson’s step-son) and Kathy Bates as Regina Jackson the President’s representative.

The story of an alien traveler, Klaatu, who comes to Earth along with his bodyguard robot, Gort to deliver a warning of planetary destruction if the people of the world don’t change their ways.

Keanu Reeves does an excellent job playing the stoic Spaceman Klaatu and Jaden Smith is adorable in this film. But…

About the only thing that is the same in this remake are the shape of the robot Gort and a few minor things like Klaatu getting shot. Other than that, I didn’t see much similarity between the remake and the original. And I watched the Original again last night on the AMC Channel to prepare for watching this film today. There is no spaceship but a lot of these wicked looking orbs all over the earth. The message was an environment message (move over Al Gore) not a world peace message. Gort turns into a million of these insect looking nano machines that starts eating everything its path until almost too late Klaatu stops them and they all die.

Now I admit that the original film is one of my favorite Sci Fi movies of all time, but as I had feared the remake is a travesty of the original. Maybe if they had stuck to the original story I would have liked this film more. I give this film 2 tiger paws.

0 comments: